Engine sizes. WARNING: POTENTIAL HOLY WAR.

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine sizes. WARNING: POTENTIAL HOLY WAR.
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:16:37 -0500
OK. I've put off asking this question over and over. It's bound to divide
the channel and cause heated debate. But Now I'm actually in plan-laying
mode, so the time has come.

I have a 73B with the obligatory 18V engine. the odometer broke at 69999,
and I suspect the actual miles are much much higher. It leaks oil from an
otherwise undetermined spot. Rather alot of oil to my untrained eye.

Since the car needs a refurb, repaint, etc, and I want to paint the engine
bay, the engine is getting pulled and rebuilt. I've lined up some machine
shop time (Trading net/computer consulting to a local shop :) and am hoping
to begin yanking the beast apart this weekend. Yes, I am aware that it could
be as simple as replacing a head gasket, but I'd still have a car with
unknown internals, and since I plan to drive this thing daily and year
round, I want the engine to be a known quantity, and hence it'll get
rebuilt.

Now, the potentially inflamatory question.

I just got the Speedpro book "Improving MGB/MGC/MGBv8" by the same guy who
did the MGBv8 book. (He even refers to that book as "Book One").

In it he discusses engine performance enhancements to the 1800. He lists
engines as such...

1950cc Stage1
1950cc Stage2
2100cc Stage1
2100cc Stage2

He even makes the comment, "the 1950cc is the bare minimum I'd accept for a
useable engine in an MGB".

Last night I was reading Lindsay Porter's book where he sort of hints that
the 1950 is no real big deal.

So I've gone out and looked at the club bbs. Messages there are of two
types. "I have one of these and it works great, you can really feel the
extra power." and "You shouldnt do that, the head cant handle it, the Lotus
pistons are crowned wrong and upset airflow, etc.". The latter always seems
to come from people who dont seem to have done it.

So now I throw it to you. I've got the budget for a set of Lotus .040 over
pistons and rings, and the machine shop is taken care of. I've also got
money set aside for an Alloy head and will be using one no matter what the
bore size ends up being.

So here it is. If the block is good (And I'm assuming it is) is 1950 as much
of a slam dunk as those two authors seem to make it?

Assuming yes above (or, knowing this list, sufficiently non-negative :)...

Since I'm replacing the DGV with SU's, should I be looking at HS6's?

Since a new header and exhaust is also on the plans no matter what bore I
end up with, is the peco "Big enough" or will I be smart to look at one of
the even larger 2" stainless sets?

I hate to bring this part up, but how about cross flow header?

Just so you know, this will be a non race car. It will be a daily driver. I
want good streetability. My reading seems to indicate that a 1950 with HS6's
and a good header/extractor that you can run a cam level or two hotter and
retain smooth idle.

Lots of questions here. I'll go now and put on my protective gear and wait
for the crossfire.

-Chris