Misting oil from the breather cap...

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Misting oil from the breather cap...
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:38:44 -0700 (MST)
I have a '77 18V engine in my '70 B.  Unknown miles on the engine,
great oil pressure (70lbs all the time hot or cold.)

I have a non-crossover AL head with an AL valve cover.

The AL valve cover came with a pen hole size vented chrome cap.

It can be seen at:
http://lundgren.thornton.co.us/camera/2000/September/P9100585.JPG

I noticed that I was getting a film of oil all over everything.  It
appeared to be misting up out of the top of the cap.  There is no other
vent in the cover.  The oil cap was a real bear to remove as it was all
slippery from the oil.

I wanted to stop the misting there.

I checked to make sure the tappet chest cover was breathing. I have not
done anything with the front tappet chest cover beyond check to make
sure that it air flows easily through.  It may not even have the wool
in there.

Seeing that the air was flowing easily I put a tinny bit of silicon
over the hole on the inside of the cap.  Again, the hole is about the
size of a ball point pen,  I can still remove the silicon if needed.

Someone mentioned that this might be a sign of oil getting past the
valves,  the head is new, less than 1000 miles on it, but anything is
possible I suppose.

Anyone else have this type of behavior?  Is this normal?

I can't go check out my car right now unfortunately as it is in a body
shop, but wanted to ask anyway.

Thanks!

--
Andrew Lundgren