Re: TD Brake Pedal question

To: rdwilt@pol.net
Subject: Re: TD Brake Pedal question
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 15:34:19 -0500
Roger,
  Yes, it can be done.  No, you don't have to remove the floorboards.
What you must do is to allocate two working days to the job.
  Remove the excluder and the side panel and spray paint thinner in there
to start softening 45 years of road crud.  Do this several times and do
what you can to get the dirt out of your way before putting wrenches on
anything.
  Follow the book. The procedure works. It's tedious and frustrating.
The hard part to it all is getting the dirt out of your way so that
wrenches fit.
  Once it's apart, pressing the bushing is a two-minute job.

   When I reassembled, I found that the rubber plug that fits in the
driver footwell also fits the round hole in the pedal box.  I made up a
dirt excluder from the dirt excluder on a brake master cylinder and a
35mm plastic film container. It doesn't work very well, but is better
than no excluder.   Has anyone developed an excluder that does work well?
Bob

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001 12:00:22 -0500 "Roger & Wanda Wilt" <rdwilt@pol.net>
writes:
> After a successful winter of rebuilding the front suspension I am
> feeling
> bold and am going to replace the bushing in the brake pedal - really
> sloppy.
> Is it possible to do this job without removing the entire driver
> floor
> (LHD)? The small opening after removing  the pedal fume excluder and
> the
> side panel from the protective box welded to the frame don't give my
> fat
> fingers much room to do anything.  Any helpful tips, thoughts, ....
> Thanks
> Roger
> '51 TD
> Columbus, Ohio