RE: fitting new top

To: "מרטין רוגובין" <Rmartin@yedtech.co.il>,
Subject: RE: fitting new top
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 11:04:23 -0700
>1)(very newbie) I have purchased a cheap pop-rivet tool and some rivets to
>install the chrome slots for the tongue fasteners (just behind the doors).
>I have seen rivets installed, but have never done this myself.  Any hints?
>(other than the obvious 'practice on something disposable before you ruin
>your MGB')

Just make sure the rivet is fully inserted in the hole, and make sure the pop
rivet tool is
firmly pressing against the top of the rivet.

>2)attaching hood to header bar - I have a new rubber header bar-to-winshield
>rubber seal, as well as the metal strip that holds that seal in place.  the
>strip attaches to the header bar with rivets, apparently.  the hood material
>should go between the two?  or is it only attached higher up with adhesive?
>Are the rivets suffucient to hold the fabric permanently to the header bar,
>or should I use adhesive as well?

The strip is attached with rivets, when I did this I found my cheap pop-rivet
tool wouldn't
fit between the curves on the strip.  I had to go out and buy an expensive
tool.  Hope your
cheap one will work.

I did not put the fabric under the strip.  That may be the recommended way but
I felt
replacement in the future would be easier if I did not have to remove the
strip.  I glued
the fabric to the header.  That was 4 years ago, it sticks just fine.  Do not
put adhesive
high up on the header bar, just toward the lower front part, and the part where
the top will
wrap around it.  When installed, there is a gap between the top and the header
bar, so that
area isn't glued.

I used the 3M contact adhesive in a can, the "high test" type, I don't remember
the number
on the can, maybe 90?

Typically the fabric type tops stretch over time, so you can fit it fairly
tight.

Good luck.

Larry

///