Re: New MGA and some dipstick advice...

To: campbe6274@earthlink.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New MGA and some dipstick advice...
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 15:21:31 EDT
campbe6274@earthlink.net writes:

> When I check the oil, it reads WAY over the 'max' mark.  But the dipstick
> also falls all the way down into the oil pan and clunks on the bottom, and I
> need to push the rubber seal on the dip stick hole down over the shaft to
> make it seal.  Almost like something is amiss.  So before I go draining half
> the oil out of my engine (or, more accurately, only filling it up half way
> when I change it tomorrow), I want to make sure my dipstick isn't missing
> some sort of stopper ring that's designed to make it go only partly down
> into the pan.  So is it normal for the dip stick to sit all the way down in

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I don't have an A so I can't give you an answer concerning whether that is
the correct dipstick, but I suspect it is a bad replacement.  The dipstick
shouldn't hit the bottom of the pan.  (Maybe you could drill a hole in the
pan so the dipstick goes all the way down?  NO, you better not!)

I suggest that you drain the oil and change the filter.  Then fill the sump
with the RECOMMENDED amount of oil for that engine.  The spec will be found
in all the usual places.  Run the engine for a few minutes to fill the new
filter, then shut it off.  Let all the oil drain back into the sump for a few
minutes, then mark a new FULL mark on your dipstick with a file.  That should
be pretty accurate.

Then get to Carlisle in May and look for the correct dipstick.  I'm sure
Barney will correct me if I'm wrong!!!  (Sorry for treading on MGA territory,
Barney!)

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget