more trouble

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: more trouble
From: "carter's alltel" <goutvols@alltel.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:26:54 -0500
Well here I go again!  As some may recall I asked for help last week with my
alternator.  Long story short.  Alternator fried, and battery had a bad cell.
I have both new.  When I bought my 79' midget last year it overheated a couple
of times.  I must remind you that I'm not very mechanical and I'm learning as
I go.  I found the original fan that goes on the water pump in the trunk and
the PO had added a little electric fan in front of the radiator.  Since I was
putting in a new alternator, I decided it would be a good time to put that fan
back on as well.  Too easy.  There is a metal bushing or ring that goes around
the water pump and then the fan slides on.  No problem.  But what keeps the
fan from sliding right back off and into my radiator?  Problem one..Now back
to my electrical problems.  new alternator in new battery as well.  Ready to
go.  As you may re-call, my head lights before would not go out.  if the
battery was hooked up the lights were on as well as the red indicator light on
the dash and my right turn signal.  I hooked up the battery and I'm in luck no
head lights, no lights on my dash.  I'm getting cocky thinking this isn't so
hard.  My first time and it is working great.  I start the car.  Should I
continue????  Well the fan started grinding against the radiator, So I turned
the car off.  How many of you out there guessed that my head lights and lights
on the dash are now back on with the car off?  If you did you are right.  I
was told to check the solenoid last time.  I did this and I don't see any heat
damage except there is a white wire with a green stripe not connected.  It
looks like the connector has broken or burned off?  Is this a clue?  For info
I have taken the switch out of the dash for the lights, incase it was the
switch causing them to stay on but with it unplugged the lights are still on.
I'm stuck if anyone may have an Idea to help me with my problems or maybe just
one I'd be very thankful..
Carter

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list