Re: more trouble

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: more trouble
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:10:49 -0700
Oh boy. It sounds to me like you need to hook up with someone that knows
what they're doing. No offense meant, but it seems like the DPO (Dumb
Previous Owner) really made a mess of things, and unless you have a good
grasp of how they are supposed to work, you could be in for a lot of
frustration.

First question: do you have a service manual for the Midget? If not, get one
NOW! You need it (whether you realize it or not). For example, I believe a
79 Midget is SUPPOSED to have an electric cooling fan. If so, it is not only
pointless trying to attach this other fan, the attempt is doomed to failure.
You need to find out what is correct before monkeying around blindly.

As for the electrical problem with the lights, you have practically no hope
of figuring it out without the wiring diagram in the manual, unless you are
one of those instinctive electric geniuses (pardon me for assuming you are
not).

So, here's a game plan:
1. get a manual and study it
2. try to hook up with a local MG or British car club, or a fellow owner
3. find your local British car garage. If you let us know what area you're
in, I'm sure someone will have a recommendation.

Good luck. As you gain experience, all this will start to make a lot more
sense.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149