Re: more trouble

To: "carter's alltel" <goutvols@alltel.net>, MG List
Subject: Re: more trouble
From: "Larry B. Macy" <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 07:04:14 -0400
#A - the Midget never had an electric fan. Now I put one in and it is great.
See Peter C.'s answer for the bushing. BTW is there a fan clutch anywhere?
That looks like a finned silver Frisbee, goes between the pump and the fan.
You don't mention it.

#B - as far as the wiring goes, Max is right - get a manual with a wiring
diagram. IMHO the Factory manual (or the Bentley) has the better diagram.
But the Haynes one can be followed.

#C -the white wire with green is for the ballasted coil. If it is
disconnected you may have a PO installed unballasted coil. It should connect
to the solenoid and the coil. It is not a part of the lights problem.

#D - as far as the lights go. Ya got me buddy. I would guess the switch, but
that doesn't answer the turn signal problem. Everything in that system goes
through the column switch, including the lights. Do you know if the "always
on lights" are high beam, lo beam, or both? Any way that is where I would
start looking. Doesn't really explain it, but with the turn signals
involved, it might.

#E - where are you, lets find you a buddy to help out.

Larry

On 4/27/01 5:10 PM, "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com> wrote:

<SNIP>
> First question: do you have a service manual for the Midget? If not, get one
> NOW! You need it (whether you realize it or not). For example, I believe a
> 79 Midget is SUPPOSED to have an electric cooling fan.
<SNIP2>

> So, here's a game plan:
> 1. get a manual and study it
> 2. try to hook up with a local MG or British car club, or a fellow owner
> 3. find your local British car garage. If you let us know what area you're
> in, I'm sure someone will have a recommendation.
>
> Good luck. As you gain experience, all this will start to make a lot more
> sense.
>
> on 4/27/01 12:26 PM, carter's alltel at goutvols@alltel.net wrote:
>
>> Well here I go again!  As some may recall I asked for help last week with my
>> alternator.  Long story short.  Alternator fried, and battery had a bad cell.
>> I have both new.  When I bought my 79' midget last year it overheated a
>> couple
>> of times.  I must remind you that I'm not very mechanical and I'm learning as
>> I go.  I found the original fan that goes on the water pump in the trunk and
>> the PO had added a little electric fan in front of the radiator.  Since I was
>> putting in a new alternator, I decided it would be a good time to put that
>> fan
>> back on as well.  Too easy.  There is a metal bushing or ring that goes
>> around
>> the water pump and then the fan slides on.  No problem.  But what keeps the
>> fan from sliding right back off and into my radiator?  Problem one..Now back
>> to my electrical problems.  new alternator in new battery as well.  Ready to
>> go.  As you may re-call, my head lights before would not go out.  if the
>> battery was hooked up the lights were on as well as the red indicator light
>> on
>> the dash and my right turn signal.  I hooked up the battery and I'm in luck
>> no
>> head lights, no lights on my dash.  I'm getting cocky thinking this isn't so
>> hard.  My first time and it is working great.  I start the car.  Should I
>> continue????  Well the fan started grinding against the radiator, So I turned
>> the car off.  How many of you out there guessed that my head lights and
>> lights
>> on the dash are now back on with the car off?  If you did you are right.  I
>> was told to check the solenoid last time.  I did this and I don't see any
>> heat
>> damage except there is a white wire with a green stripe not connected.  It
>> looks like the connector has broken or burned off?  Is this a clue?  For info
>> I have taken the switch out of the dash for the lights, incase it was the
>> switch causing them to stay on but with it unplugged the lights are still on.
>> I'm stuck if anyone may have an Idea to help me with my problems or maybe
>> just
>> one I'd be very thankful..
>> Carter

Larry Macy