Alternators

To: mg list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alternators
From: James Nazarian Jr <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 15:11:32 -0600
I have a simple alternator question, while we are on the topic.

I have a brand new 12v battery, a three wire alternatori, and I have done the
conversion as per the moss catalog for 5wire harness to 3wire alternator.  The
alternator makes ~13.8 volts (on an analog gauge) and comes on between 1k and
1.5k RPM .  With the voltage that high I still have a dull glow in the alt
warning light whenever the car is running.  In the daylight I can't see it, but
at night and in dark areas (garages) I can see the glow, with or without
headlights on.  Why does the light glow, initially I had suspected bad ground,
but the batt to chassis cable and the engine to chassis cable are both clean
structurally sound.
--
James Nazarian Jr
71 MGB roadster

A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have
   evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list