Hub reassembly questions (75 B)

Subject: Hub reassembly questions (75 B)
From: "Mark Dawson" <torchbone@bright.net>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 10:59:27 -0400
The brake job is progressing, just waiting on a few parts. While cleaning
out the inside of the hub, bearings, etc., I inspected all and noticed a
gouge on one, and what looks like a bit about to flake out of the other hub.
The location is between the inner and outer bearings, where the bearing
spacer fits. The gouge and flaking areas are in the hub wall, near the outer
edge of that inner space.

Is this a problem? I poked at the flake for a bit, and it didn't seem like
it would budge anytime soon. Maybe it isn't even a flake, but just a raised
line in the metal. Let me stress these areas are NOT in the bearing races,
seal areas, etc., and it seems like they wouldn't affect much. But I've
already shown my ignorance, so I ask for your expertise.  :-)

Also, to take issue again with Haynes (my Bentley hasn't arrived yet...), it
clearly says to replace the inner bearing and oil seal (doesn't mention the
oil seal collar, ahem), and THEN replace the bearing spacer. Is my car
wrong, or is that impossible in that order? The bearing spacer will not fit
through the outer bearing race (which Haynes says to leave in place unless
I'm going to renew it).

Lastly, Haynes says to NOT fill the space between the bearings with grease.
What about around the outside of the bearing spacer? I assume that greasing
the spindle before putting the hub back on will adequately grease the inside
of the bearing spacer?

Otherwise, thanks to the several kind souls who offered personal help after
my last rant. This list is great! Thanks for putting up with my
inexperience.

TIA,
-Mark
- Topless Smurf ('75 MGB):