Re: engine swap - Riley 1.5

To: WSpohn4@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: engine swap - Riley 1.5
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 16:30:02 -0500
At 10:08 AM 5/23/2001 EDT, WSpohn4@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 23/05/01 4:06:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:
>

>> I have a Riley One-Point-Five. ....
>> My 1500 engine threw a rod .... found a 3 main 1800 donor.
>> .... Can I use the flywheel and back plate from the 1500 ....
>
>.... the MGB flywheel (different bolt pattern - saves redrilling the Riley
flywheel)

The 3-main MGB flywheel has the same bolt pattern as the MGA, just uses 3
alignment pins rather than 2, and those are on the same basic circle.

>.... and check for interference of the pressure plate in the bellhousing ....

Fits fine, no problem there.

>>.... is there any other concerns I should be aware of?
>
>You mean other than the fact that you have exceeded the strength of the
weak rear axle by an even bigger margin than the 1500 did? ....

The rear axle is about the only thing I have had no trouble with on my MGA
in over 300,000 miles, and I run the crap out of it.  Doing repeated hot
starts and power shifts with the race tires should be pretty hard on it,
but so far I have only needed a new u-joint on occasion.  I have spare
parts for everything on the car (almost), but I don't bother keeping any
spare parts for the rear axle other than gaskets and seals.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (and 1600 with warm cam, big valve head, MGB
clutch and flywheel, sticky tires, and original rear axle)
    http://www.ntsource,com/~barneymg

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list