RE: Which Classic for a Daily Driver?

To: "Dan DiBiase" <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Which Classic for a Daily Driver?
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 17:31:11 -0600
Dan, I drive my MGB every day.  Some days that is in excess of 100 miles of
city driving.
It has never left me stranded, and is VERY cheap to drive (thank you Moss).  I
would put it
up against any new car any day for speed, fun, reliability, and of course
"cheapness".  Lets
say the MG is worth $6000, consider the replacement, if I buy a new car I'd
have to spend
$20,000 plus.  AND I can't work on it!  What could be eaiser to fix than an MG?

Now if you want bigger?  A good choice is a Jaguar XJ6 series III.  My wife
drives her 1987
XJ6 Vanden Plas every day.  It has what my Aunt calls "Snob appeal".  Everyone
is impressed.
We've owned two of them the first was a 1984 we sold it with 150,000 miles on
it the second
we are now driving and it has 140,000 miles.

What would my next "big" classic car be?  A Jaguar MKII.  Awesome car, similar
to the 3.8 S
type that Rick is touting, but better looking in my opinion (we're all entitled
to our own
opinion, right Rick?).  The Jaguar MKII will easily accept the newer 4.2 series
III engine,
which will not detract from the car at all and it will be a great cruiser.
Look for the
August-September 2000 issue of British Car magazine, the editor Gary Anderson
owns a MKII
and wrote about his experiences touring the Southwest United States in it.
Gary sometimes
pops in and out of this list, are you out there now Gary?

You might also consider a Morris Minor Traveller "Woodie"; cool car, shares a
lot in common
with your MGB.  Check the June-July issue of British Car for information.

If you do end up with a classic, I would recommend, like others have to check
your smog
laws.  Generally speaking the older the better, most states don't care what you
do to a mid
sixties car.  If the car is mid seventies most states will have some [minimal]
requirements.
After that .... look out.

Now, just for fun, what does a Passat cost?  $25,000.  Dream a little ... what
classic car
can you buy for $25,000?  Everything I've mentioned would be way less than
that, even a
concours car.  The very best restrored MKII is less than $25,000.  Now lets
play the
"future" game.  In 5 years what's the Passat worth?  The MKII?  Get my point.
Maybe it's
time to listen to that wife of yours ...

Take a look at this car

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=588273240&r=0&t=0>

Larry Hoy
Plan on attending the 49th Annual Glenwood Rallye
http://mgcc.org/glenwood2001/main.htm

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list