5 Speed - Why?

To: <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 5 Speed - Why?
From: "Edwin McCarroll" <emccarroll@mco.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 08:47:50 -0400
Indeed, as the topic rages on most of the comments pertain to MGB's and 4
speeds and overdrive units.   In the case of the MGA these o/d discussions
don't pertain.   I for one will take the interstates when I have have to travel
to events of 150 miles or more and like to keep up a decent speed for safety
and economy of time.  If the ambient temp. is high enough I find that my temp.
gauge creeps up when sustaing speeds of 65-70mph over a period of time.   The
rpm are in the region of the low 4k's.   I am considering the conversion to a
five speed Sierra box and conversion kit.   While not original, it will allow
my engine to work less hard, consume less fuel while maintaining good low end
acceleration and allow the desired speeds at rpm's in the low 3k's.   Is there
a negative side to this which I don't see?

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list