Re: 5 Speed - Why?

To: mvheim@studiolimage.com
Subject: Re: 5 Speed - Why?
From: matttrebelhorn@netscape.net (Matthew Trebelhorn)
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 12:00:29 -0400
Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com> wrote:

>Hey, and don't knock OD just because of the switch location. Early cars >had a
>dash-mounted switch. Then they went to the wiper stalk one (and if >you think
>that's a problem, how about modern cars that have twice as many >stalk
>functions?). Later on, they had a shifter knob switch. So you could >have it
>any way you liked, if you just bought the right B...<bg>

Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com> wrote:
> You could probably
> manage that even with a cell phone in hand<g>. It's actually a lot easier
> than shifting in and out of 5th because there's no clutch or awkward 4-5
> gate.

To the first comment, about multi-function stalks in modern cars: in modern
cars I've driven, I can't think of an instance where one stalk controlls
accessories (like wipers) and, as an additional feature, controlls essential
functions (like gear selection).

Yes, I could have had a different car, with the o/d switch in a different
place.  But it would still necessitate two different motions to shift through
the gears, would still necessitate looking to a couple of different locations
about the cabin to determin what gear I'm in...

To your second point, Max: If you want to avoid the awkward lateral movement of
the gear lever, and if the clutch is an added complication, there are always
MGBs with automatics.  If only you'd bought the right car... <vbg>

Matt

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list