Re: Legal Roll Bar that Allows Use of MGB Convertible Top

To: N <twobees@sprynet.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Legal Roll Bar that Allows Use of MGB Convertible Top
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 01:26:36 +0930
N wrote:

> A while ago, someone on the list asked me to provide photos of my SCCA-spec
> roll bar for vintage racing over which I use both factory hardtop & regular
> softtop.  I now have those photos available along with photos of the stock
> tonneau cover I had modified to fit around the roll bar.  The only piece of
> the roll bar that doesn't work with the tonneau is the front diagonal bar
> that bolts in from the center of the roll bar hoop to a steel 3-sided box in
> the far right corner of the passenger footwell.  That would require further
> modification to the tonneau & since I only use that bar when racing, I
> haven't done that (yet).

Love to see some pictures.  Maybe also some specs on yourself (your
height) and what seat you use. My rollbar is too high for my soft top
and the rear braces foul the folding brackets of the mid-fold top
anyway.  The rule here is that the rollbar must be at least 50mm (2
inches) above the top of the helmet of the driver (strapped in) and as I
am 6 foot tall and I use a standard 'B seat for now, that puts the
rollbar wayyyy up there.

My thoughts on this are to get myself a decent racing seat (planning
that way anyway - I end up aching from being thrown all over the place
now) to drop me down in the cockpit so I can drop the height of the rollbar.

Eric
'68MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia

///