Re: 5 Speed - Why? - Why not the engine swap?

To: WSpohn4@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 5 Speed - Why? - Why not the engine swap?
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 00:58:33 -0500
At 05:02 PM 7/2/2001 EDT, WSpohn4@aol.com wrote:
>One question no one has addreessed yet (I asked it awhile back). If it is
OK to swap in a different gearbox because it is better, more modern, etc.,
what is the difference between that and swapping to a more modern engine
for exactly the same reasons.

I think it's because the gearbox is generally hidden from view, and for all
intents and purposes it still looks like the original car after the swap.
Much like stuffing the MGB clutch in the MGA or swapping out the final
drive gears in the rear axle.  Also the same reason we seem to accept some
power upgrades to the original engine, as long as it still looks about the
same when done.  Installing an odd engine would definitly raise some
eyebrows when you lift the bonnet at a car show.  In other words, you can
get away with just about anything as long as no one notices.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg

///