re: 1 3/4" SU

To: "MGs (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: 1 3/4" SU
From: scott beavis <sbeavis@solartronanalytical.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 09:58:08 +0100
>Can anyone who has gone up a size in SU carbs on an MGB (in my case
>1968) let me know the result.  Good?  Bad?

I run twin HIF44 1.75" carbs on my 1330cc tuned up mini. It goes very well.
Everyone said it wouldn't work but it is fine, and has even been known to
give 30mpg.

>Not worth the expense and effort?

It is something I'd definitely consider on an 1800cc engine, but only if I
wanted more power. I have built my mini up for outright acceleration so have
all the tuning mods (cam, carbs, head, flywheel, etc), but our MG is a
peaceful slow car and gets very rattly above 3k (engine needs a rebuild) so
we drive it nice and gently. I won't be fitting larger carbs to it as I
don't intend to turn it into a tuned up motor.

>Why did you do it?

I was getting air starvation above about 6krpm when running a single carb
with rampipe and Piper Cross sock filter, so simply went to two of that carb
to half the air flow through each filter. That way the needle/spring etc all
stays the same too. It does make the throttle twice as sensitive but that is
good really!

>Yes, my fuel economy is just too good at the moment and I can't use
>enough of the stuff!

HA! Try living in UK where it will soon be 5 quid a gallon.

Scott

PS: On the subject of fast B series MGBs, is it something which works well,
or is the V8 option the only real way? MGBs are very heavy I find so would
need some serious stripping out to get a decent P2W. What sort of BHP does a
standard and tuned B series give out?

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com