Re: 1 3/4" SU

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1 3/4" SU
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 14:54:18 EDT
In a message dated 12/07/01 10:15:26 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> My 1600 hums happily past 7000 rpm
> running on H4's.  The new street cam made a big difference, and it breaths
> better now than ever, lots of fun to thrash around.

Barney, if it is really a street cam, you aren't doing anything at 7000 but
making noise and reducing bottom end life!

Even the 1600 benefits from the 1 3/4" conversion, though, assuming enough
head prep was done.

I was always pissed off that BMC neglected to homologate that conversion for
the MGA, when I was running pushrod engines. They went to the trouble of
allowing the 2" carbs for the MGB, but we had to use 1 1/2" H4s, like sucking
through a straw if you have 12:1 and a developed head and valve train. And to
add insult to injury, the factory special tuning department did use the
larger carbs, they just didn't bother to homologate them for a
no-longer-current model

Let me offer another opinion while I am at it. I have seen street MGBs with
2" carbs on them. IMNVHO, there is absolutely no point in going beyond the
HS6s unless you have a race car, AND it is a pretty damned tweaked one - you
won't see any improvement on the dyno except at high rpm - the smaller carbs
work a bit better in the mid-range.  But then you see people sticking on
stuff all the time, just because they like the looks, not because it makes
any difference (except in many cases to impair smooth running and mileage).

Bill
(who has run H4, HS6, HS8, 45 DCOE, twin 40 DCOE, twin 45 DCOE, stupid
pointless downdraft Weber conversions, blowers....)

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list