Weber carb conversion vs. Dual SU's

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Weber carb conversion vs. Dual SU's
From: "Andy Drake" <adrake@mail.ru>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:49:33 +0400
Hi all! New to the list, so please excuse me for either starting a flame war or
ignoring the existence of a FAQ someplace (please send me a link if there is
one). I have what I think is a relatively simple question:

I'm the (possibly) lucky owner of a '76 MGB roadster with a cracked exhaust
manifold (surprise, surprise). Rather than invest the $100 in getting another
one and dealing with the ZS carb with it's plethora of fun issues and choked
off performance, I'm considering just doing a Weber conversion and installing
an exhaust header. This car is just meant for everyday use, not track or high
performance. Given that, I've also been recommended conversion to a set of dual
SU's which were factory equipment and "meant to go on the car". I'm certainly
not opposed to doing this, but I've been told SU's are tricky to tune correctly
and do normal maintenance on.

The thing is, I've seen plenty of '75 and later MG's converted with Weber
carbs, so they must work, but I've also seen plenty of SU conversions along the
way. After 10 years of sitting in a field, I just want to get it back on the
road with a minimum of hassle and with the best overall reliability and
drivability. That's why I'm leaning towards the Weber.

Lemme know what you all think. And if you have a particular place where you've
ordered either a Weber carb kit or SU parts from and had good luck, send that
along as well!

Thanks,

                                                 -Andy

///