Re: MY FIRST FLAME FROM ED EVERYONE!!!

To: JustBrits <justbrits@home.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MY FIRST FLAME FROM ED EVERYONE!!!
From: "Larry B. Macy" <macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 11:31:57 -0400
BTW Mail set to "Reply All" does not fill up Mark's servers. It does not
even go to Marks servers, except the ones addressed to the autox.team.net
address.

A Reply All message goes to your SMTP server, whether that be your ISP
address, or a local server, then is forwarded to the server of the
addressee. A copy of the message is sent to the Team.net server for
distribution to the list. But a second copy, or multiple copies, no. In fact
your ISP does not even, for the most part, retain a copy of the message.
SMTP is a relay. It gets your message then forwards it to the appropriate
server for downloading to your email client. Unless you are using the
team.net server as your SMTP address, the only copy of the message that hits
that server is the one that goes to the list. I would be willing to bet that
Mark does not have the list servers set up for SMTP.

The only exception to your message being stored on the sending server (the
SMTP server in your client account set up) is if you use IMAP and have it
set for saving sent-mail on the server. Most times sent-mail is defaulted to
being saved on your local hard drive, or not at all.

Minor LBC content. I just got the Midget back from being painted. Boy does
it look great. Now I gotta do the interior. It really looks bad with fresh
Brooklands Green paint.

Larry

--

Larry Macy