Re: The Tireless Question

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: Re: The Tireless Question
From: James Nazarian Jr <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 09:55:55 -0600
I run Cooper 185/70R14s on my roadster.  I don't remember the model
off hand.  The only rubbing I can report is while autocrossing on them
I have buffed the dirt off of the inner wheel wells on the rear of the
car.  It hasn't hurt the paint, just buffed the dirt off of it.

--
James Nazarian Jr
71 MGB roadster

A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have
   evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 06:10:13PM -0700, Max Heim profoundly declared:
> 155 is rather small. I thought 165 was standard. The Michelin MX4 175R14
> fits, looks good, gives you a little more height and tread width. You may
> have to look around to find them, but they are out there. If you go to a
> modern 70 series tire, I don't know if you can gain much ride height before
> you run out of space, width-wise. But I know some people run 185/70-14. Note
> that if the springs are sagging from age, or the shocks are worn, you may be
> more constrained as to size, and the benefits of really wide rubber won't be
> apparent, anyway.
>
> on 7/18/01 5:43 PM, Steve Clifton at SClifton@cfl.rr.com wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > Its way past time for tires for my 72MGB.  I've been doing some shopping
> > through the paper and internet.  Seems that tires for my 14' Rostyles are
> > not that common.  I need some help from you all on the list.  I would
> > appreciate any direct response from any who have some recent experience
> > buying new tires for their MG.  Looking for best price and performance
> > balance.  Would also like to increase my tire size to gain a little more
> > ride height (currently running Michilen 155 SR 14).  What is the max size
> > before rear fenders rub the tire?  Tire shopping is no fun.
> >
> > Thanks in advance to all who reply on or off list,
> >
> > Steve C.
> >
> > 72 MGB
> > 24 years of ownership
> > 135000 orig. miles
> > It's starting to become a garage queen :-(

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list