RE: Virus (OT)

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Virus (OT)
From: "Greg Bass" <gregbass@atlantadental.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 07:52:20 -0400
Sorry for a late response but I didn't check my MS Outlook yesterday since I
was out of the office. :-) anyway...

I don't believe anyone has flamed you for your choices. But your analogy is
the same as blaming the sun for people getting sun burn. Don't they have
some responsibility in that they should take preventive measures? the other
thing that you fail to realize is that most people have no control over the
software that they use in an office environment. The company dictates that
and they don't allow the user to pick and choose at will, for a bunch of
very good reasons. There are some issues with MS products, but there are
issues with EVERY software that I am familiar with! We use MS products
extensively in my company. There are also very strict, thourough antivirus
proceedures in place. Additionally a usage policy for all computers must be
adhered to by all operators. In my 2 years here we have never had a virus
infection on anuy of our 400 or so workstations and servers. Oh, by the way
I am the system admin for the network so I have first hand knowledge of
this.

Anyway blame is with the user (and not with the software,) hackers and the
people who write the virus in the first place. And failing to place the
responsibility where it belongs in book is a cardinal sin and of late it
also seems to be government policy! ;-) 'nuff said.

Greg

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list