Re: Tire pressure monitors (No LBC)

To: Allen Hefner <Ajhsys@aol.com>, <kmr@pil.net>,
Subject: Re: Tire pressure monitors (No LBC)
From: Larry Macy <macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 14:04:31 -0400
Interesting. On my recent foray to the Wilds of Wyoming, we rented a Chevy
Impala (2001) model. Not great, but not bad either. When I drove it off the
lot the Low Tire Pressure message was being displayed. The clerk told me it
had been handled and not to worry about it. So I didn't. Prior to the 300+
mile drive to Jellystone I found the owners manual in the glove box. It
stated that the warning comes on if 1) A tire is changed (there was a
General on the right front and Uniroyals on the other three) or 2) there
develops a 12 psi difference between one tire and the rest (any one of the
rest). No set pressure just a significant difference. 12 psi when the stated
recommendation is 34 is pretty durn significant IMHO.

To rest the warning I found that you had to have the key on (engine off) and
pull the light switch from the always on, automatic, position to only
parking lights 3 times. And then if there was still a problem it would reset
in 90 minutes of driving.

Turn on the lights to reset the tire warning?? Who woulda thunk?

Larry

At this exact moment in time 8/1/01 10:18 AM, "Ajhsys@aol.com"
<Ajhsys@aol.com> made the profound statement:

> In a message dated 7/31/01 3:43:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kmr@pil.net
> writes:
>

>> Interesting.  Now what about expansion of the air inside the tire due to
>> temperature?  How will the ECU determine the correct pressure at any given
>> instant, or will this be a static system only utilised while the car is off
>> or at initial start up.  Because if not, they'll need some tire temperature
>> sensors too.  Hmm, we'll need a tarmac temperature sensor also and an
>>

> - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Well, that will cost a whole lot more than the $45 stated in the article.
> The sensor is to light a warning light on the dash when the cold tire
> pressure is 20% or 25% BELOW the lowest recommended cold pressure.  The light
> stays on until the pressure is fixed.  I doubt they have worked out the
> details yet.
>
> Allen Hefner
> SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
> '77 Midget