Re: Changing polarity

To: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@home.com>
Subject: Re: Changing polarity
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 14:56:42 -0600
Bob:

<<<snip>>>
"Bob D." wrote:

> Yes the stock TD voltage regulators are set to 16 volts, and yes that's what
> the workshop manual says. BUT continuous 16 volts will cook a battery.

That's because you're using a modern battery which has alot less
internal resistance than the old tar top batteries.  However,
Andy is trying to add more lights for DAYTIME use.  That means
they will be on all of the time.

I quote: "I've been trying to change to an alternator in my TD to
power some halogen driving lights, which I'd like to run during
the day for Safety Fast."

In that instance, he won't overcharge the battery.

The Ford model T and other early cars DID NOT have a voltage
regulator, just a cut out.  The standard practice when driving
long distances with these cars was to run with the headlights on
to keep from "cooking" the battery.  The headlamps used the extra
output from the generator.  Thus the charging rate for the
batteries declined.  The fluid level in the battery then didn't
drop and Andy can do likewise.

<<<snip>>>
 My
> battery was always spitting out acid and my amp meter never dropped below 15
> amps. I adjusted the regulator for 14 volts and the continuous charge
> dropped down to around 2 amps. The only time the charge goes above this is
> briefly after a stop light or after starting the engine.
<<<snip>>>

I am aware of this problem and have also compensated for it in
the same manner as you have suggested.

Blake

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list