Cylinder Number 3

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Cylinder Number 3
From: Anthony Woodruff <tonymmedia@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:42:25 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Listers,

My car is running better than ever before!  Great power, etc. when driving.

Only problem is that I've got a "rolling idle" -- there is a periodic surge
when the '66 B is idling (or any running below 1500 RPM).  I checked my Bentley
manual for diagnostic procedures and came up with very little.

I checked my points and timing, and it occurred to me to put the timing light
"clamp" on each of the other spark plug wires in turn - just to see when/if
they were firing.

1 and 2 are very strong.  Number 3 misses almost 1/2 of it's strobes, and
number 4 misses only about 15% or so.  This is at an idle of around 1000-1200
RPM (the lowest I can get it at).

Where do I go from here?  I've replaced the distributor cap, rotor and spark
plug wires.  I have also checked the points gap and the timing - all are
correct.

Is my distributor faulty?  Perhaps incorrect gapping of the spark plugs?  Other
ideas?

I'm at a loss - your help, as always is appreciated.

Safety Fast,

Tony Woodruff
'66 MGB
http://phonecard.yahoo.com/