Crack of Doom

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Crack of Doom
From: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 18:45:13 EDT
To all members of the MG list;
What would you recommend doing to fix the dreaded "Crack of Doom" that has
been discussed or mentioned on this list before. I have a 1978 MGB that has
sustained this damage on both doors. Although worse on the drivers door,
which has a 1 1/4"+ tear, the passengers door also has a smaller 3/4" tear. I
was wondering if I should reskin the doors? Or, replace them retaining my
door locks & all the assorted hardware? Or (gulp!) try to tig weld the tear
closed after removing as much of the inner door stuff, such as window glass,
etc. Has anybody on the list recently had to deal with this situation? What
method did you use to fix the tears or rips. I was almost certain the "Crack
of Gloom" situation was caused by the weight of the side mirror opening and
closing on the doors over a period of time. Until somebody told the list that
it is caused by somebody using the side vent to pull the doors closed. Either
way it looks bad  and is the only thing between me and a paint job, so you
see it's rather important that I fix the tears.-=Safety Fast=- Albert
Escalante1978 MGB

the d

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list