Re: Crack of Doom

To: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Subject: Re: Crack of Doom
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 21:19:59 -0400
Aeseeyou@aol.com wrote:
> Or (gulp!) try to tig weld the tear
> closed after removing as much of the inner door stuff, such as window glass,
> etc.

  As mentioned, you have to also weld in a plate on the back
or similar to spread the load. If you just weld up the crack
it'll come right back, likely on the edge of your weld.

  Weld it up lightly, then put a plate on the inside and
plug-weld that in so it goes a couple of inches to each
side.

> I was almost certain the "Crack
> of Gloom" situation was caused by the weight of the side mirror opening and
> closing on the doors over a period of time. Until somebody told the list that
> it is caused by somebody using the side vent to pull the doors closed.

  I don't know how much the mirror matters, but pulling on
the vent window is definitely a long-term no no.

  Another major comtributor is the vent window
getting pressure from the seal at the corner of the windshield,
which puts a stress on that little area of door at all times when
the door is closed. Throw in some vibration from driving,
and bob's your uncle.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca