Re: engine rebuild

To: microdoc@apk.net
Subject: Re: engine rebuild
From: David C Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 20:52:06 -0500
On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 18:07:16 -0400 "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D."
<microdoc@apk.net> writes:
> Sounds like you need to find a new machinist.... a competent one this
> time.... and a new block while you are at it. A competent automotive
> machinist should have been able to sleeve your MGA or MGB engine
> without
> destroying it in the process. There is nothing wrong with sleeving
> if it is
> done correctly.

You miss my point.  My current machinist is not to blame, the block had a
broken step when I bought the car (unknown to me at the time).  He just
can't guaranty the quality of result by resleeving it and trying to weld
the sleeve into place again.  And I've bought another block from a list
member to fix it.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with sleeving if it is done
correctly.  I just woudn't do it unless it was really necessary.  In
engine rebuilding, it is false economy to use old parts.  Particularly to
sleeve an engine to save a few bucks on buying new pistons.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list