Re: Super-charger

To: lrcar@red4est.com
Subject: Re: Super-charger
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:28:26 EDT
In a message dated 8/31/01 1:37:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
lrcar@red4est.com writes:

> > I use 8.5:1 with 13.5 psi boost on a turbo installation, mind you I have
> > knock sensor with feedback control to the timing.
>
> Is this in an MGB?  What's the details on the knock sensor etc?

No, my daily driver Fiero. I would not run a B engine at that high a boost.
The knock sensor requires a modern ECM that controls fuel supply as well,
although you can (and perhaps should) get a kit from MSD that incorporates
the GM knock sensor and provides a read-out on a dash instrument. Once you
have the timing set, you will probably never need to look at it again, but
that first mistake can be expensive!

Look at http://www.msdignition.com/ under 'Tools' - otherwise it is hard as
hell to find the unit. Part #8964. Combine it with a timing control that
let's you adjust timing from the cockpit, like the #8680, and you have the
complete ignition side of the modern ECM, except that you are the link that
completes the control loop. I would use such a system on my Twincam race car,
but of course that wouldn't be vintage, would it?  ;-)

> When I last dyno tuned my motor, I noticed that the timing did not
> seem as steady as I'd like it to be. Would the problem likely be in
> the distributor drive gear, the distributor or ... ?
>
> Is there an easy way to check? Especially since I'm about to have my
> motor torn apart again in a short while.

Big topic recently on the vintage racing/Twincam group.  Consensus seems to
be that the gears and chain cause the problem, and that it can only be
minimised, not eradicated.

Happy sparking.

Bill

///