Re: Flywheel Questions

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Flywheel Questions
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 17:40:35 -0700
on 9/7/01 11:30 AM, Ruggiero Larry Lt Col AFRC/XPXS at
Larry.Ruggiero@AFRC.AF.MIL wrote:

> Hey again, gang-- two more questions.  If it's most wise during a proper
> engine rebuild to replace the flywheel starter ring gear, what's the best
> (safest?) way to remove the old-- chisel and hammer it off the flywheel? I
> know about the reinstall protocol. My ring gear looks pretty darn clean--
> I'm tempted to leave it on.

If the ring gear appears to be in good shape I see no reason to replace it.
I wouldn't say it is standard procedure to replace it -- only when
necessary, at which time it is generally pretty obvious.

> On another semi-related note, when removing the flywheel from the crank, one
> of its bolts ended up coming out with the threads partially chewed up-- it
> took quite a bit of effort.  Obviously replacing that bolt is in order, but
> what about the crank?  Is it safe to run a tap into the crank's bolt hole
> now, or should I let the engine shop worry about this when I give them the
> crank?  Worst case, if it's torn up beyond cleaning with a tap, can it be
> helicoiled?  I'm assuming the rest of the crank is perfectly salvageable, of
> course, since the motor's pretty clean.

I don't see why you couldn't just tap it, but might as well wait until the
engine's apart and cleaned up and it's accessible in case drastic measures
become necessary. Worst case, the crank's toast for other reasons, so you
wouldn't have wanted to waste time on it.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

///