Re: MGB Trailer

To: d_dibiase@yahoo.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Trailer
From: MGTD1952@cs.com
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 20:53:42 EDT
A couple of interesting entries from the archives of the MG UK Site.  It
might be worth a call over to your local U-Haul as well, as they advertise
themselves as the largest installer of trailer hitches in the USA.  They
might have something for a B in their books.  Couldn't hurt.

TOWING TRAILERS
Posted 26 July 1997 at 04:00:26 UK time
larry colorado l+<A HREF="mailto:lkie@gj.net";>lkie@gj.net</A> Has anyone had
expirence towing a small trailer
(like a
mororcycle trailer) behind an MGB Roadster.
I want to build my own hitch and would appreciate
any info. from some one who has built a hitch or towed
a trailer. My book shows a max. of 100 lbs tounge weight
with Max towing weight at 1000 lbs.
Any info. would be appreciated.
THANKS Larry

Posted 26 July 1997 at 06:22:47 UK time
Gerald O', Scotts Valley CA Yes, my brother towed a small trailer from Texas
to Alaska
with no ill effects with his '74 B. It was one of those folding
4'x4' trailers with a small box added that could open up into
a nice little tent-bed on top and carry cargo in the box.

Moss motors sells a small trailer suggested for use with a MG.
Just be sure your drive train is in good condition since trailer
towing will put added stress on it. You will need to service
your brakes and change lubricants and fluids more frequently.
I wouldn't recommend towing 1000lbs very far but a 500lb load
could be tolerated. Tires need to be in excellent condition too
and a notch wider wouldn't hurt, but not taller. A 185/70 would
be a good size.

-Gerald O'

Posted 26 July 1997 at 17:23:09 UK time
Mike, Arkansas, <A
HREF="mailto:mwish@wolfden.swsc.k12.ar.us";>mwish@wolfden.swsc.k12.ar.us</A>
Porter & Pollard state "the MGB
makes an excellent tow
vehicle for medium weight trailers and caravans", "copes with
a twelve foot caravan with surprising ease!" They also include
pictures and details for fitting a trailer hitch. Quotes are
from: Improve and Modify MGB, Porter Publishing & Haynes
Publishing Group, 1988, 1992, by Lindsay Porter and Dave Pollard.

Posted 28 July 1997 at 02:33:16 UK time
Philip Morgan <A HREF="mailto:padre@howenet.com";>padre@howenet.com</A> I'd be
interested in knowing what the MG
owners in Britain have to say about towing a trailer, i.e. a caravan! How
does it handle, what size, what weight etc. I'm contemplating building my own
fold out trailer, similar to the one in the Moss catalog only a lot nicer to
look at. Anyone done so already?
Regards Padre

______________________________________
TRAILER HITCHES
Posted 02 March 1997 at 20:53:45 UK time
Mike McBride Keensburg, ILL <A
HREF="mailto:mmcbride@midwest.net";>mmcbride@midwest.net</A> Could someone tell
me if it
is possible to put a hitch on a 75B? Does someone make one or do I need to
fabricate one? I've looked it over and it looks like to me that I may need an
engineer. Any help? Thanks.

Posted 02 March 1997 at 21:00:32 UK time
Mike McBride Keensburg, ILL <A
HREF="mailto:mmcbride@midwest.net";>mmcbride@midwest.net</A> Could anyone tell
me if it
is possible to put a trailer hitch on a 75B? Does someone make one or do I
need to fabricate one? I've looked it over and it looks like I may need an
engineer. Any help? Thanks.

Posted 03 March 1997 at 04:03:03 UK time
Philip Morgan <A HREF="mailto:padre@howenet.com";>padre@howenet.com</A> Mike
The MG Owners Club list a tow package in their accessories catalogue. Tow
Bars for rubber bumpers are listed at 44.95 pounds sterling and the
installation kit at 16.95 pounds sterling ( includes
wiring,relay,socket,interior light,50mm ball, chrome or black ball cover.
Multiply the figures by 1.5 to get a rough estimate of U.S. dollars. The MGOC
has a website but their telephone number from U.S. is 011-44-1954-231318.
Presently they are five hours ahead of EST.

Posted 03 March 1997 at 07:39:38 UK time
Gary Beckwith, Oxnard, CA, <A
HREF="mailto:beckwith@fishnet.net";>beckwith@fishnet.net</A> Mike,
Why? I've pondered this question and have determined that
I would love to tow a small trailer on weekend trips. Being into
astronomy, it would be useful to have the trailer pre-loaded
with the telescope gear to just hitch up and go when I don't
want to take the truck and want to drive the way we should drive.
Then again, there would be a loss of power on the hill climbs.
I suffer that now without a trailer.
What do you want to tow? That's the question, I guess.
These cars are made for a challenge and that's what we have.
Do you want to be more of a hazzard than we alreay are (people
staring at us, slow on the climbs, over-working the engine,
etc.)
Sorry. Soapbox subject.
Trust Padre's advice, though. If you can't trust him...
--Gary

Posted 04 March 1997 at 21:56:22 UK time
Mike McBride Keensburg, ILL. <A
HREF="mailto:mmcbride@midwest.net";>mmcbride@midwest.net</A> Thanks for the help
Phillip
and Gary. I have a small trailer that I used to pull behind a mororcycle.
It's not very heavy. I thought the extra space would be nice on the 2000 mile
trip we're planning this summer. Phillip, I'll check into the package you
mentioned. Thanks again guys.

Posted 05 March 1997 at 09:09:56 UK time
Gary Beckwith, Oxnard, CA <A
HREF="mailto:beckwith@fishnet.net";>beckwith@fishnet.net</A> Padre,
Checked out the site and it looks like I have to pay more
$ for another membership to get this info. A light-load
M/C hitch&trailer would be great.

Could you ethically allow us to use your membership to get
what we need? JUST JOKING!!

--Gary

Posted 06 March 1997 at 20:09:41 UK time
Keith Wilds, Groton CT / <A
HREF="mailto:k_m_wilds@prodigy.com";>k_m_wilds@prodigy.com</A> One of the
frothing maniacs(Hi
Larry) took a "spare" rear rubber bumper and took it down to one of his
fellow sociopaths witha welder, whereupon they proceeded to remove the rubber
cover and welded on a mount that the ball screwed back onto after the rubber
cover was re installed. My owners manual states that I'm allowed to tow up to
1200lbs. An idea.

Keith W.

Posted 06 March 1997 at 23:13:10 UK time
Philip Morgan <A HREF="mailto:padre@howenet.com";>padre@howenet.com</A> Mike,

Non-members can purchase items from the MGOC for an additional 10% over the
price I quoted you. I won't want to cut up my rear bumper as suggested in
another posting - the bumpers not attached securely enough to support
additional tow capacity (in my opinion). If you end up with no option other
than that through MGOC then please Email me direct - might be able to work
something out - more than willing to help if I can.
Regards Padre

Posted 07 March 1997 at 21:45:58 UK time
Mike McBride Keensburg, ILL <A
HREF="mailto:mmcbride@midwest.net";>mmcbride@midwest.net</A> Phillip, I agree. I
wouldn't
want to damage the bumper. I'm not sure yet what I will do. I appreciate the
offer of help. I may get in touch with you later. Thanks again. Mike

Posted 10 March 1997 at 02:32:51 UK time
Bill Robinson, MA, <A HREF="mailto:BILLRBN@AOL.COM";>BILLRBN@AOL.COM</A> Folks,
don't assume it fits on the bumper. My tow-hitch is
one I have bought in the UK, carried over with my luggage
and fitted to my 'B. The typical sytle is fitted to the
frame, not the bumper. The hitch itself is a large U shape.
If you buy one from Britain you will have to slightly
modify how the ball is attached. Not a big job.

Bill.

Posted 10 March 1997 at 21:27:38 UK time
Mike McBride IL. <A HREF="mailto:mmcbride@midwest.com";>mmcbride@midwest.com</A>
Thanks for the input Bill. After
studying it at length I had come to the same conclusion. I have a little
experience in fabricating things like this. I think I'll experiment and see
if I can come up with something functional that still looks like it belongs
on the car. Thanks again everybody.
Mike

Posted 20 March 1997 at 01:21:41 UK time
Don Harvey <A HREF="mailto:dharvey@acme.csusb.edu";>dharvey@acme.csusb.edu</A> I
have a hitch on my '72 B that I tow a
small trailer with.
I had it made at a U-Haul dealer that does costom hitches.
It cost $125. My car does well with the trailer.

Posted 29 March 1997 at 15:02:55 UK time
Tom Keith,Huntsville Al <A HREF="mailto:tkeith00@aol.com";>tkeith00@aol.com</A>
I bought a trailer hitch which is
rather substantial several years ago (for chrome bumpers) but never installed
or used it. If you are interested, let me know.phone 205 534-1247

Steve in NJ

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list