Re: New house is getting close

To: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>, Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: New house is getting close
From: Eddie Sheffield <eddie@mediarchive.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 13:04:18 -0400
On Tuesday 02 October 2001 12:48 pm, Bob Howard wrote:
> Allen,
>   I have used a product called "Git-Rot" for repair of powderpost beetle
> damage. It works wonderfully. It's an epoxy that saturates the porous
> wood all the way to the good wood, then into that a bit.

I've used something similar to that in the past - can't remember the name,
but I think it was marketed by Min-Wax. I think that stuff was originally
invented to preserve some old boat that had be recovered. Submerged the think
in a huge tank of the stuff.

Min-Wax also has a product that you use to build up portions of wood that are
totally gone. You stabilize and strengthen the remaining wood with the epoxy
stuff, then build up the area with the second product. They show using it for
things like porch posts and such, though I never had the nerve to use it for
anything really structural. I did use it for rebuilding some old window
sashes. Funny thing, though, this filler looks, smells, feels, and acts JUST
LIKE BONDO! But costs a whole lot more. After I ran out the first time, I
just started using Bondo for the build up. Works better as a wood filler than
an auto body filler! Still used the Min-Wax epoxy stuff to stabilize the
remaining wood first though. Good stuff.

Eddie
1971 Midget

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list