Re: Nice Drive - then FWANGGGG! Clutch ?

To: eugeneb@nni.com
Subject: Re: Nice Drive - then FWANGGGG! Clutch ?
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:09:50 -0400
Gene,
  The spring that fell onto your feet is just the pedal return spring
that keeps the pedal from swinging.  Its presence (or absence) has little
effect on the way the clutch feels to your foot. The warranty on the
spring is only 20 years, and yours is now out of warranty, so could be
expected to break.  It's a Moss item, or hardware store if you are in a
hurry---not a high-tech item.
  Inside the clutch assembly are the springs that actually clamp the
clutch parts  together to do the job of transmitting power from engine to
gearbox. That assembly should be unaffected by the pedal return spring.
The clutch will not slip because the pedal return spring is broken.
  Funny smell? Did you run over something in Valley Forge Park? Could the
breaking spring have flipped around and done some electrical
modifications under the dash?
  Try installing a replacement spring and go driving. It should be just
fine.
Bob

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 20:10:18 -0300 Eugene Balinski <eugeneb@nni.com>
writes:
> Listers,
>
>    Well it happened last Saturday.  I was out for a nice
> drive through Valley Forge Park.  I came to the end of the
> park road and put in the clutch.  All of a sudden - FWAANGGGGGGG
> (sound of breaking spring)  and a spring falls to my feet - and
> the clutch feels funny.  Oh S@*t...!  <----(bad word)
>
>    So I figure that it is the clutch pedal return spring. OK.
> No replacement on-board.  I am thinking that I have yet another
> flat bed trip coming.
>
>    The clutch return is weak but it looks like I can limp it home.
> I watch the tach for any signs of slippage on the clutch.  I don't
> see any.
> It looks good so I try it.   I do make it home (12 miles) and park
> the car
> in the garage, and go inside.
>
>    Later I come out to the garage to check on the car.  It smells
> funny.
> Not good.  I can not place the smell, but it was not the normal,
> good,
> MG-in-the-garage smell.  It did not did it smell like a clutch
> either. Hmmm.
>

>    My questions are, did I damage or glaze the clutch by driving the
> car back home
> after the spring broke ?
>
>     Do these springs normally break, or is this indicitive of some
> other problem in/with the
> clutch or tranny ?
>
>   Any/all help will be appreciated..
>
>      Thanks,