Re: "Backfiring" through the carbs?

To: "MGs (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: "Backfiring" through the carbs?
From: scott beavis <sbeavis@solartronanalytical.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 08:53:35 +0100
>I've been told that this is because the mixture is too lean, the mixture is
>too rich, and the timing is off.

When we bought our MG two years ago, it would often make a very loud *BANG*
noise when accelerating hard. Not sure if this was through the carbs or down
the pipes, but I fixed it by advancing the ignition slightly. What was
happening was when the throttle was opened up wide the vacuum dropped off.
This caused the vacuum advance to retard (to normal) and because the timing
was already retarded it was now firing too soon for the full cylinder of
rich mixture. This causes some cycles to pass unburnt.

I have also sometimes get a 'backfire' through the carbs on my mini.
Occasionally I'll crank it and it will almost fire, but not quite. Then
smoke is seen rising from the bonnet scoop! The smoke comes from the carbs.
I think this is due to the wild cam. Maybe the engine runs backwards for a
mo?

Scott

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com