Re: Update on "bluebell" (re-named "smokey joe")

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Update on "bluebell" (re-named "smokey joe")
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:11:17 -0700
Look, "sealing" the filler cap is not the issue. If it's actively blowing
oil out the filler cap (or the dipstick tube, or anywhere), you have a
crankcase pressurization problem, not an "oil leak". So you need to solve
that, not go around plugging "leaks". In fact, each leak you plug will just
make the problem worse.

I'm sure your UK-spec 78 is considerably different from the emasculated US
version, so I can't make any specific suggestions, but I suggest you compare
the crankcase ventilation system as described in the manual with whatever
the PO has bodged up on your car, and set it to rights. At least this would
be my first step.

Good luck.  :-)

--

Max Heim