Re: Help needed with determining car # !!!

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Help needed with determining car # !!!
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:10:25 -0700
I assume that's because you gave them the engine number to go from. I would
think in this case Phil would start with the VIN on the title. If the body
#, commission #, and engine # on the actual car turn out not to match, then
at least Phil would have his worst suspicions confirmed.

Clausager does mention in "Original MG" several locations where the VIN
might also be inscribed on the body.

"MGB cars for the USA (and Canada?) had the car number stamped inside the
front fight-hand member in the engine compartment just behind the front
engine mount, adjacent to the starter motor...."

"At least some cars had the car number stamped in the floor pan in front of
the right-hand seat..."

So I would check these locations. But I agree with those who think it is a
bad sign that the official VIN plate behind the windshield is missing -- I
mean, everyone from the junkyard guy to the body man to the amateur restorer
knows that you don't mess with the VIN plate... unless some skullduggery is
intended.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149