Re:Rubber Bumper Crash Test

To: miket_nyc@juno.com
Subject: Re:Rubber Bumper Crash Test
From: "Dave Munroe" <brutusdog1@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 15:12:42 -0400
>From: Michael Taglieri <miket_nyc@juno.com>
>Mon, 5 Nov 2001 02:21:39 -0500

>>Actually, my VW was also the first year of the ugly bumpers, but they
>were massive rubber-covered steel things supported on shock-absorber
>struts.  I once lost traction on ice and skidded into a tree at 20-odd
>mph with no visible damage to the bumper (or tree).  Are the
>rubber-bumper MG bumpers also much stronger than the earlier ones?  If
>so, I might put up with uglier.

Mike;

This is an interesting question: the Rubber Bumpers were designed to meet
the 5 mph "no damage" rule, but I have never seen any information related to
their relative advantage over Chrome Bumper B's in this regard. Certainly a
20mph run into a tree was not likely on the radar screen at that time! Kudos
to Deutsch Qualitat...

Anyone on this list have any info on this aspect of RB's?

Dave