Re: Early MGB door mirror

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Early MGB door mirror
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 17:10:47 -0800
Thanks, Carl!

My thought was that the downside of wing mirrors was that you couldn't reach
out and adjust them from the driver's seat. You needed a helper. And that if
your spouse wanted to drive, you'd have to help her readjust the mirrors
every time, etc. That's why I was interested in a door mirror. I don't think
I'll bother with an off-side mirror. One already has quite a good field of
view -- no blind spots with the top down!

My current mirror is neither fish nor fowl, being about halfway in between
the two "normal" positions.

on 11/8/01 4:40 PM, Carl W French at cfrench@cybertours.com wrote:

>> What do you have for a driver's side mirror?
>
> Two wing mounted mirrors. The right side one is convex.
>
>> Apparently, an exterior rear view mirror
>> was an option at that time,
>
> In reading Claushagers he states that Mirrors were a dealer provided item
> as there where three recognized ways to install them and the factory left
> that up to the dealer or owner to choose.
> 1. One or two mirrors on the doors.
> 2. One on the driver's door and one on the passenger side wing.

I can't help but think this looks goofy, but it seems to have been common.
Older Japanese cars seem to have similar arrangements.

> 3. Both mirrors on the wings.
>
>> My car came with one of the chrome bullet mirrors (obviously non-original,
>> see Moss #42),
>
> They were considered a "period correct accessory".

Right. Judging from the rate of chrome decay (what is the half-life of
chrome on pot metal?), I figure this one was added ca. 1975...

>> mounted on the wing forward of the windshield, in a position
>> where it is 90% blocked by the windshield post from my driving position.
>
> They should be mounted directly over the apex of the front wheel opening.
> They will not be in the way.

Yup, just totally out of reach <g>...

>> Based on this, I am thinking a door-mounted mirror would be more useful. I
>> am just trying to figure out which one.
>
> It does give you the best visibility. I find the wing mirrors adequate. My
> brother has the same setup on his GT and to take care of the blind spot he
> mounted an "overtaking" mirror that he sourced from the UK.
>
>> The one listed as "factory option"
>> (#26) looks like it needs an awfully big hole
>
> That would be for a wing mounting.

It's odd that Moss specifically calls it a "door" mirror, then. But you're
right, that big post would make more sense in the wing than in the door
skin. I think Moss has their pictures mislabelled.

Based on that logic, #37 makes sense as a door mirror. But then, why isn't
35 a door mirror, also? Kelvin? Lawrie?

> These are a couple of admittedly bad photos of my mirrors.
> http://www.mgbexperience.com/view/?1967/CarlFrench-1.jpg
> http://www.mgbexperience.com/view/?1967/CarlFrench-2.jpg
> Carl French

Hey, it looks great! That makes me wonder, though, we haven't heard from
Skye recently...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149