Re: Importing a MG from England

To: "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>,
Subject: Re: Importing a MG from England
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 17:53:17 -0500
At 08:25 AM 11/21/2001 -0600, Paul T. Root wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 07:22:41PM -0600, Robin Camblin wrote:
>> I received a call from someone interested in bringing their 1980 MGB with
>> them when they relocate from England to Los Angeles.
>>
>> Not having any experience with something like this I'd like to hear what is
>> involved in the process, so I can pass along the information to them, plus
>> just curious also.
>

>Hmm, well, I'm sure it can be shipped over. I had a friend that bought
>a new Volvo in Sweden and had it shipped over, and got a free vacation out
>of the savings.
>

>Did the home market MG have all the same stuff (ZS, catalytic converter,
>air pump, etc) installed as the US models?
>
>Paul.

The way I understand it, its next to impossible. The home market 1980 B
will not meet U.S. specs, and you as an individual can't retro fit it at
any reasonable cost .

The cut off year for home market was in the past 1967, but that might have
changed. Before that model year, importation is relatively easy . I
imported a 1953 YB many years ago. Agriculture inspection then required the
car to look clean, now with hoof and mouth, the inspection might require a
steam cleaning, etc.

Anyway, thinking of importing a 1980 car is probably out of the question.

If the regs have changed, someone should post it.

Mike

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///