Re: B on the Dyno

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: B on the Dyno
From: "Rick Lindsay" <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 16:05:46 -0600
The discussion continues...

> It wasn't me that was induction tuning (it was Eric), but that's good
info.
> Though it looks like it would be hard to tune for "low-end grunt" -- that
> 42-inch ram pipe would look pretty funny sticking up out of the hood!
Though
> I suppose you could coil it up like an English horn...

   Look at the curved tubes on a modern BMW some day.
They arch all the way across the center of the engine bay.
Being about 13" long, that tunes them at the red line of a
modern BMW.  I just love it when science wins.
   Keep in mind that this works on the exhaust side too
and helps with the extraction of the residual 'end gas' from
the cylinder.  There, a tuned exhaust is important at low
revs because of large valve overlap.  Long overlap is great
at high revs but hurts low speed drivability.  A tuned exhaust
augments the extraction of the end gas and thereby thwarts
the effect of the opening of the intake valve before the exhaust
is fully, well, exhausted.   A properly tuned exhaust can actually
INCREASE the magnitude of the intake charge.

> > Y axis is "Induction Length for Maximum Ram, inches
> > X axis is R.P.M.

   A least squares fit through the data below using 1/length as Y
produces a linear fit in the form:

Length (inches) = 1 / (0.000979967+0.0000105065*RPM)

I believe that this assumes a velocity of 1361 ft/sec.

> > (2000,47)
> > (3000,30)
> > (4000,24)
> > (5000,18)