Re: Carbs and B's

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carbs and B's
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 09:59:48 EST
In a message dated 12/2/01 11:46:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> . I put a pair of SU's on
> this engine that were left over from the previous engine (1622 CC). I
> assume
> these that are currently in use are the 1 1/2 inch variety. I know there
> are
> also 1 3/4 inch SU's out there also. Were these larger carbs standard on
> the
> larger 1800 cc "B" engine ? I have the carbs that came on the rebuilt motor
> but they are not rebuilt and since they were questionable, I went with what
> came off the previous motor. I didn't know their condition either, but they
> physically looked to be in better shape. Would a pair of 1 3/4 inch SU's
> give

The HS4 carbs from the MGB engine are worth rebuilding - the flexible feed
lines to the jet base are a more trustworthy way of conducting fuel than the
cork seals used in the H4 of the MGA, although new types of seals have
improved the situation somewhat. I turned on my Mk 2 coupe after 7 years of
sitting, and it leaked fuel like a stuck pig. Had I used the B carbs, there
would have been no problem.

There is a small power gain to be had with fitting the 1 3/4" carbs (which
were a special tuning option, but never stock on the MGB), but to get any
more significant boost in power requires attention to gas flow in the head
and intake tract and a change in camshaft, so if you don't intend to go that
far, I'd be inclined to stick with the rebuilt HS4 carbs.

Bill

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///