Re: Montebanks & Charlatons

To: barrier@bconnex.net
Subject: Re: Montebanks & Charlatons
From: Michael C Taglieri <miket-nyc@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 01:15:12 -0500
I don't think it's necessary to go that far.  JCW sells many good tools
and parts at bargain prices.  They also sell magical items to cater to
the desires and illusions of the fringe of the public who are the market
for such items.  The pills you drop in your spark-plug holes to "rebuild
your top end as you drive" are probably the most famous of these items,
and Car Talk has been ridiculing these for years, but they stay in the
catalog and keep selling, maybe because some people don't WANT to give up
their illusions about car repair, magnets, or many other things.

Haven't you ever picked up a supermarket tabloid and read about the
latest sighting of Elvis. space aliens, babies with bat-ears, etc.?  The
same folks that go for these are buying the magnets and the magic pills
from Whitney, and they'd be unhappy if they couldn't.  It's pretty easy
to tell which kind of item you're looking at in the catalog, so just
relax read it as car parts catalog that's also giving you a glimpse into
a wacky corner of American life.

Mike Taglieri -- miket-nyc@juno.com

On Sun, 09 Dec 2001 12:56:50 -0500 Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
writes:
> Ladies & Gentlemen,
>
> I apologise.  I thought JC Whitney was a supplier of some worth.  Now I
am
> informed I will, in future, read their catalogue with humour rather
than
> interest - and never buy anything.
>

> At 04:34 PM 12/8/01 -0500, Glen Wilson wrote:
>
> >Geez, Barrie!  What would the JC Whitney catalog be if they took all
of that
> >stuff out of it: no fun to read anymore!  Anyone who buys a product
like
> >that, even if he has no automotive knowledge whatsoever, is trying to
get
> >something for nothing and hasn't enough sense not to be suckered into
a deal
> >that is clearly too good to be true.  This sort of person, whether
naive or
> >or motivated by some baser instinct, is a born victim who has much
more to
> >fear from other nefarious individuals not employed by JC Whitney.
Besides,
> >if you start with JC Whitney, you are clearly obligated to go after
Popular