car running again, leaks abound

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: car running again, leaks abound
From: dhh2c@cms.mail.virginia.edu
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 17:58:32 -0500
Hi all,

The 1972 MGB that i've been working on for months is finally running
again.  The rebuilt motor and various other refreshed bits make the
car really purr; it looks and runs great.

BUT, i have a plethora of leaks to deal with before i can really
drive it.  (I don't wanna ruin that spotless engine bay YET)

First up:  Oil cooler lines.  Both unions at the oil cooler and the
rearmost union from the line to the block are leaking.  The lines and
cooler were purchased as a kit, they came in a box that said "Mocal
oil control systems" on it, they look like quality parts.  The unions
went together clean and i've tryed varying levels of torque to no
avail.  Any suggestions, tips, tricks?

Next, brake lines. I put new cupro-nickel lines on the car.  Several
of the unions on the distribution block are leaking.  A paper that
came with the kit cautioned against overtightening the unions.  I
took care to place the appropriate lines in the right places. Again,
any help for a novice mechanic would be appreciated.

I also need a new accelerator pump for the weber carb (gas leak) and
to tighten the hose clamps in a few places (coolant leak), but i can
figure those out.

TIA,

Dan H.
1972 MGB