RE: car running again, leaks abound

To: "'dhh2c@cms.mail.virginia.edu'" <dhh2c@cms.mail.virginia.edu>,
Subject: RE: car running again, leaks abound
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 17:02:37 -0800
Dan:

        The Mocal kits are usually good quality and leak free, so its time
to go back to basics.  Loosen the fittings and check to make sure there is
no scarring on the sealing faces of the pipes.  When tightening the hoses
take any stress off the hose so the seating surfaces have a chance to mate
correctly.

        Do not overtighten the fittings to the oil cooler.  I normally apply
a little bit of antiseize to the cooler threads so that there is less chance
of bimetallic corrosion between the steel fitting and the alloy cooler.

        No real advice on the brake lines.  The bubble flare seats against
the seat in the distribution block.  Further tightening of the fitting will
usually seal any seeping, but too tight and the flare will deform and foul
the threads of the female fitting.  Be really careful.

        I'm going to be doing the cupro nickel lines on my car within the
next week, so will have a bit more experience then.

Kelvin.

> Hi all,
>
> The 1972 MGB that i've been working on for months is finally running
> again.  The rebuilt motor and various other refreshed bits make the
> car really purr; it looks and runs great.
>
> BUT, i have a plethora of leaks to deal with before i can really
> drive it.  (I don't wanna ruin that spotless engine bay YET)
>
> First up:  Oil cooler lines.  Both unions at the oil cooler and the
> rearmost union from the line to the block are leaking.  The lines and
> cooler were purchased as a kit, they came in a box that said "Mocal
> oil control systems" on it, they look like quality parts.  The unions
> went together clean and i've tryed varying levels of torque to no
> avail.  Any suggestions, tips, tricks?
>
> Next, brake lines. I put new cupro-nickel lines on the car.  Several
> of the unions on the distribution block are leaking.  A paper that
> came with the kit cautioned against overtightening the unions.  I
> took care to place the appropriate lines in the right places. Again,
> any help for a novice mechanic would be appreciated.
>

> I also need a new accelerator pump for the weber carb (gas leak) and
> to tighten the hose clamps in a few places (coolant leak), but i can
> figure those out.
>
> TIA,
>
> Dan H.
> 1972 MGB