RE: car stereo installation in MGA

To: "Mark Lambert" <markl@tibco.com>
Subject: RE: car stereo installation in MGA
From: "Denise Thorpe" <xyzabcde@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 14:34:33 -0500
An MGA is positive ground (unless you've converted it, which involves
nothing more than switching the leads on the battery) and modern stereos
won't work without a polarity converter.  With a polarity converter, the
stereo has to be completely electrically isolated from the car and the
converters hum and don't like weather.

However, you can't hear a stereo in a British convertible anyway.  Yes it's
illegal in CA, but I used to drive with a Walkman and headphone buds in my
ears.  Wasn't stopped in 22 years and there was never a lost decibel
betwixt the radio and my ears.  And it kept out all of those stupid
comments about my driving.

Denise

Any
> advice out there on how best to do it?  Or any recommendations on places
in
> the SF bay area that can do high quality custom installs?  I'm thinking of
> something fairly unobtrusive, where it might be possible to easily
de-install
> the visible parts of the stereo if I want to show the car.  I don't want
> anything glitzy and high-powered, just something with reasonable sound.
>
> Thanks for any advice,
> markl
>
> Mark L. Lambert
> Principal Architect