RE: car stereo installation in MGA

To: "Mark Lambert" <markl@tibco.com>
Subject: RE: car stereo installation in MGA
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:06:55 -0700
I tried the electrical isolation method on my positive ground 65 MGB during
my college days and ended up seeing my 8-track player go up in smoke. No
great loss though. You can tell that was a long time ago.

I have kept my 67BGT positive ground and have now progressed to a cassette
stereo. Rather than chance any problems, I rigged up a cigarette lighter
plug to provide the correct power to the cassette player that usually sits
in the passenger seat (or can be moved to the back seat). Efficient and
easily removed. The original AM radio is still in place and operational too.

My 72B, once its rebuilt, will even be more modern and sport a CD player in
the radio slot.

David

At 02:34 PM 1/24/2002 -0500, Denise Thorpe wrote:
>An MGA is positive ground (unless you've converted it, which involves
>nothing more than switching the leads on the battery) and modern stereos
>won't work without a polarity converter.  With a polarity converter, the
>stereo has to be completely electrically isolated from the car and the
>converters hum and don't like weather.
>
>However, you can't hear a stereo in a British convertible anyway.  Yes it's
>illegal in CA, but I used to drive with a Walkman and headphone buds in my
>ears.  Wasn't stopped in 22 years and there was never a lost decibel
>betwixt the radio and my ears.  And it kept out all of those stupid
>comments about my driving.
>
>Denise

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list