Re: rust on 67B

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rust on 67B
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 15:10:47 -0800
About the date, usually it's the other way around -- the car is built in one
model year but not sold or registered until the next year (sometimes by a
dealer that unscrupulously sells it as the current model -- not that that
usually made much difference with a B). I've never heard of a car being
"backdated". What's the VIN?

About the rust, well, that's really the difference between a good B and a
bad one. The other stuff -- mechanicals, interior, trim, top, tires -- is
just a matter of a little time and/or money to get right, and you can do it
bit by bit. The rust situation is something else. The only way to get it
right is to cut it all out and replace it with metal. Since that entails a
new paint job on top of all the bodywork, it doesn't take many rusted panels
before the project begins to resemble a ground-up restoration in terms of
expenditure. And frankly, unless you're planning to keep it for the rest of
your life, and really enjoy this sort of project, these cars aren't worth a
full restoration. The price difference between a really really nice B and a
funky B is only maybe $3-5K -- in my area that doesn't buy a whole lot of
body & paint. If you don't expect to do it yourself I wouldn't really
recommend this car. Better to save up for a nicer one.

IMHO, FWIW,
Max (have rust, will travel)

--

Max Heim