Seeking advice on MGB steering rack install

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Seeking advice on MGB steering rack install
From: "Marc" <smarc@abs.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 01:56:08 -0500
Greetings all -

I was hoping I could elicit some advice regarding the
reinstallation of a steering rack in my 1973 MGB. I'm finding this to be a
very difficult task.

I had removed the entire crossmember, which was stripped down and rebuilt.

As I understand it, it's important that the horizontal alignment of the rack
be such that there is no stress on the tube of the rack. I am having
difficulty achieving this, as well as getting the shaft back into the
u-joint. It seems that there is some dependency on depth of shaft insertion
into the u-joint that makes this thing line up. As I think about it now, I
wonder if I need to loosen up the bolts holding the cross member to the
frame to give myself some "wiggle room"...

I am resisting the urge to wail away on it with a BFH, so I packed up my
tools in frustration. I did find a technical note somewhere on the net which
mentioned something about some missing shims on the upper hole of the mount
brackets
for the rack. Don't know if this affects me, but there weren't any there
when I took it apart!

Also wondering about centering of the steering wheel, as I hate it when the
wheel is crooked.

Have spent the evening scouring the net for info on this with little luck.
Any info or tips will be appreciated!

--
Marc

///