Re: Stumblin' BGT

To: "Brent Schwartz" <brentschwartz@qwest.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stumblin' BGT
From: "Paul Hunt \(Telewest\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 09:20:15 +0100
Really does sound like the pump, in your case like the contacts are
incorrectly adjusted.  The purpose of that toggle arrangement is so that the
contacts only open when the pump is nearly at full travel in one direction,
and only close again when nearly at full travel in the other.  You don't say
what year of car or type of pump you have, but on an HP and AUF300 pump the
diaphragm should be unscrewed until the contacts just throw over and close,
then unscrew the diaphragm a further 1/4 turn.  However if your contacts do
look like they are in the closed position and the problem is that they are
not making contact, make sure that the fixed contact is resting on the
raised rib that is near the contact pip.  Also make sure that if this fixed
contact is lifted slightly, the moving contact also rises with it a little
way.  There are several diagrams and descriptions in the Workshop Manual and
Haynes.