eng. oil leak

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: eng. oil leak
From: Brian Warmuth <warmuthb@wlsc.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:31:11 -0700
Just fired up the rebuilt 1500, three-main in the ZB Magnette. Sweet and
smooth! Outside of some relatively minor carb tweaking it's running just
about as good as it gets. I have installed an electronic ignition (Crane
XR-700) and it seems to be working just fine.  Now for the fun part.
Noticed a small puddle of fresh eng. oil after running and adjusting,
which upon close inspection appears to be coming from the front seal on
the crankshaft pully. I used the original felt type as opposed to
installing a newer engine's timing cover. (woe is me). The leak when
running is a fairly constant drip from the TDC pointer on the cover.
What now?  Pull the rad, take the cover off and recenter? Will the
original felt seal "swell" with a little time?  This is about my 8th
engine rebuild and I've never had this type of problem. I really thought
I'd centered the cover cause I took extra pains when installing the seal
and crank pulley. Drat!! The rest of the engine is sealed like a
drum....no signs of leaks anywhere. 50# oil pressure at cold idle.

Brian
58 MG ZB Magnette
52 TD (rhd)
59 MGA 1500 Roadster